A gift to your family, sparing them hard decisions at an emotional time.
It is not always possible to pay respects in person, so we hope that this small token will help.
Offer a gift of comfort and beauty to a family suffering from loss.
Since 1929, the Bond Funeral Home has been housed in the Westinghouse mansion. George Westinghouse built this home for his mother in 1887 fashioned after cottages he saw in Saratoga. He spent about $22,500 (in 1887 dollars) for the 23 rooms and attached greenhouse, yet she refused to live there. Emeline Vedder Westinghouse wanted to remain on State Street in downtown Schenectady because it was closer to the social life. According to another historical account, Westinghouse's mother didn't want to move to the mansion because it was too large.
In 1891, Westinghouse sold the mansion to Hezekiah R. Hegeman, vice-president of the Westinghouse Co. He sold it to Spencer Moore, a relative of Westinghouse. In 1929, Romine R. Bond bought the mansion and moved his funeral home from 1307 Broadway to the Westinghouse Mansion. In the late 1970's the Bonds removed much of the gingerbread woodwork and replaced it with aluminum siding. Also the windowpanes of the greenhouse were covered over, and a covered extension was put over the driveway. A chapel was added to the rear of the building in 1958.
Romine "Dick" and Robert, two of Romine's sons continued on the business. Dick retired in 1991 and Robert in 1995. Robert's son, Robert R. Bond, has carried on the family business since 1995. On February 25, 1999, the funeral home suffered a major fire that incinerated the top two floors. By July of 2001, restoration of the building was completed, with the return of the gingerbread woodwork and removal of the aluminum siding. A handicap ramp and bathroom were included with the restoration.
The funeral home that was founded in 1923 by Romine R. Bond still remains family owned and operated for three generations. As always, our family is honored to serve your family as we have for the last 81 years.